Sunday, July 17, 2005

Tension Headache -- Bad but better than a migraine

Drugs and Stress Management Together Best Manage Chronic Tension Headache: Clinical Trial Proves Benefit of Combined Therapies: National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS): "Tension headache is caused by prolonged tightening of muscles in the head and neck. This most common form of headache is classified two ways: episodic, with fewer than 15 attacks per month typically triggered by some form of environmental or internal stress, and chronic, occurring on 15 or more days a month, with varied pain throughout the day. Symptoms include a dull ache on both sides of the head, tightness or sensations of pressure around the scalp or neck, and depression. Many sufferers also find it difficult to sleep."

My Take:

The study cited above found that relaxation and biofeedback IN ADDITION TO drugs works. It took a study to figure that out? Go figure!

But they were just examining tension headaches. I'll take a tension headache over a migraine any day. Won't you?

Here is an interesting thought. Perhaps a tension headache is a contributor to migraine, ie. you get a tension headache and it is the final stressor that puts you over the edge into a migraine. I believe that is the case for many of us.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

Hey, Ron

Thanks for leaving your comments on my blog and I'm flattered that read it. lol I actually do know about the rebound effect of the fioricet and it's one of the things I campaign about with my doc every time I go in. I definately need a better pain mgt med and a preventive and an abortive, but she's so inexperienced. I think that when the doc's are inexperienced, they'd rather do nothing than do something that could be bad for you. Whereas, I see it the other way around. I mean, even if it didn't work out, at least we'd be doing SOMETHING and then we'd know, hey, that one didn't work. And if it killed me, hey, at least I'd be out of pain, am I right? Until changes are effected in the medical community, getting effective treatment is going to continue to be a tremendously slow process.

5:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home