Sunday, August 07, 2005

Migraine Triggers

Caffiene Migraine Headache:
"RECOGNIZE YOUR SPECIAL “TRIGGER” SITUATIONS AND LEARN THE WARNING SIGNS THAT WILL HELP YOU HEAD OFF AN ATTACK

Take time to review the situations you were in before your migraine attacks. You may be able to notice a pattern that will define “trigger” situations. Does your migraine start after shopping? After heavy housecleaning? Before a menstrual period? Holidays? During financial difficulties?

If you discover a pattern of any sort, discuss it with your doctor. He may suggest ways to put a “safety” on the trigger situations. Or may suggest that you take your medication before a known and unavoidable trigger situation takes place."

My Take:

Triggers are definitely part of the puzzle. But only part.

Rather than an all or nothing situation, a trigger, in my opinion, should be viewed as part of a point system. For example, consider that it takes 100 "points" of triggers in a day to create a migraine. For me, driving in heavy traffic=20 points, hard day at work=40 points, 40 more points from ANY source will throw me into a migraine.

Most "trigger theorists" look only at the last event and say THAT caused the migraine. But when the same event happens on a good day, the event does not cause a migraine. That is why it is so difficult to say when something is a trigger for you.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

Hey! I just wanted to let you know that I read your blog often. Your last one on rebounds gave me pause to think about my own situation. Thanks tons and keep up the good work. I learn so much from you! Jessipo :)

8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home