Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Auras & Migraines

Migraine Resources:
"Classical migraine or migraine with aura is preceded by a group of symptoms called aura, most commonly experienced as a visual disturbance. Common migraine or migraine without aura, in contrast, lacks any indicator of the impending headache. Some experience aura without migraine, a condition called amigrainous migraine."

MyTake:

Some "old-school" doctors (as in they are so old they don't even remember what they learned in school) will tell you that for your headache to be a migraine, it must be accompanied by an aura. That is a good time for you to stand up and leave.

1 Comments:

Blogger CHARLOTTE BOYETT~COMPO said...

The first time I had a pain-free aura experience I thought I was having a stroke. It scared me to tears but the doctor in the ER said it was simply a matter of 'your eyes playing tricks on you...like a mote floating in the air'.

You have to wonder from which Cracker Jack box he got his diploma.

Luckily I went online and started researching eye disturbances and lucked upon a sight that a drawing of exactly what I had experienced. It was labeled painless migraine.

I've had chronic migraines since I was 15 and I'm now 59. They have decreased sharply in the last few years to 4-5 per year instead of one and two a month. I'm on Inderal LA 160 mg daily as a beta blocker and that keeps most of them away. I've never had aura except those few times I've had the pain-free ones but the reactions to sounds, light, and smell have triggered many a really terrible bout. I usually wind up in the ER for 100 mg each of Demerol and Vistaril.

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home